10 Steps to Getting Top Dollar for Your Home PART 1
When you decide to sell your Washington DC home you should immediately begin referring to it as a house. You’ve become emotionally attached to this place and it is now time to say goodbye. Start detaching yourself by making some changes that will help you with the sale of the house.
You probably have accumulated a lot of clutter over the years. This must be the first step.
1. Unclutter your home. Start in the basement and either throw things out or rent a locker off premises to store it until you move but prospective buyers need to see what the house looks like behind all your stuff. This means going room to room and clearing everything out that makes it look junkie and disorganized.
2. Neutralize the personal nature of your home. Paint your home a neutral color. Knick knacks and generally all things that you’ve previously enjoyed should be stored away until after the sale, replace these things with neutral items like picture frames or vase with a simple arrangement.
3. Minor cosmetic work. Once you remove the clutter you will see all the things that you’ve been meaning to get to over the years. Painting where necessary, new carpet/s, moldings repaired, cracked plaster and re-taping/ repairing drywall. When making these improvements think neutral colors for any coverings be it paint or carpets. If you have hardwood floors sand them and finish them. Area rugs can look amazing. Whatever you do, don’t over do it. Try and think like a buyer.
4. Hire a professional cleaner. Once you have the house cleared you should hire a professional cleaning crew to wash the walls, windows, work over the kitchen and bathrooms, clean the floors and shampoo all carpets that don’t need to be replaced. Your house should be spotless and kept this way for the duration.
5. Staging each room. If your rooms are smaller rearrange the furniture to make the room look bigger. For example removing some furniture is better than having too much cramped in. Set your furniture up in conversation pit style. Like a gourmet coffee house, make it cozy. Pull couches away from walls to give the appearance of depth. Remove wall clutter, one or two pictures but no more. Generally make it look inviting.
Theses tips should get you started on getting your property ready for sell. Check out our blog here for part 2 in the very near future.