This post is a follow up to the post “Should I Sell My Washington DC House in the Winter” ,Winter presents its own unique set of challenges. Most people believe it is not the ideal time to try to sell your house.
1) Clear a Path
- It seems the Washington DC area has been hit with snow pretty severely the past few years so make sure you clear a path through the snow….especially if snowflakes are still falling.
- Scrape the walkway. You do not want that snow to turn into ice…or even worse I potential lawsuit.
- Sprinkle a layer of sand and salt over the sidewalk and steps to ensure your buyers’ stable footing.
- And, If it’s raining, put a rubber mat by the front door or a container to hold wet umbrellas / shoes.
2) Let in the Light
- Show your house during the daytime. Fall and Winter tend to be dreary times of year. Energize your house and let the light in!
- Pull up the blinds, open the shutters, push back the drapes on every window.
- Turn on every light in the house, including appliance lights and closet lights.
- And, brighten dark rooms with few windows by placing spotlights on the floor behind furniture.
3) Turn on the Heat
- Pump up that thermostat. It’s better to heat the house a degree or two warmer than usual and then set the temperature at normal. No one wants to walk around a cold house! The potential buyers will lose focus on how perfect the property is for them because all they are thinking about is their freezing fingers.
- You want the temperature inside to be comfortable and to give the buyer more of a reason to linger, especially on a cold day.
- Light the fireplace, but open the damper, place a grate in front of it and don’t leave it unattended for very long. You don’t want your house to catch fire.
4) Make it Visually Pleasing
- Display photographs showcasing your summer flower gardens and lush green lawns.
- Keep blinds partially closed that otherwise show undesirable outdoor scenery such as a dilapidated fence or a nearby structure that obstructs views. (I know this contradicts #2, but no one wants to see the dilapidated fence)
- Make Your House Sparkle, such as wash the windows, clean out cobwebs, etc.
- Staging your house is key, as well as updating the kitchen and bath.
Keep this in mind when you’re trying to sell or buy property in the Washington DC area this Fall and Winter! And you will be on your way to selling your property Fast.
If you want to sell fast and not have to worry about these Winter tips that’ll help sell your Washington DC area house then contact us for a fair and quick cash offer! www.DCHouseBuyers.net . Call 202-888-0560!